Saturday, December 13, 2014

Carignano del Sulcis

A photo posted by Leslie Carbone (@leslieannecarbone) on



On Monday, I had the opportunity to indulge in one of my favorite pastimes, when the Carignano del Sulcis Consorzio sponsored a five-course wine-tasting luncheon at Boston Symphony Hall.

The Carignano is a late-ripening red grape.  Sulcis is an area in the southwest corner of Sardinia.   Its strong sunshine brings out the natural sugars and secondary compounds in the grapes, softening their tannins.

The result is some of the smoothest reds I've sampled.  I've developed a taste for peppery reds, and my favorite of the afternoon was the 93-point Agricola Punica 2011 Barrua.  Softened by notes of vanilla, the 85 percent Carignano is a complex blend of smooth and spicy.

And it makes me want to travel to Sardinia!


No comments:

Real Time Web Analytics